Nouns Verbs Phrase Adj. & Adv.
Sore Increase up to
Reach a peak
Reach the highest point
Reach/increase a top
Be in the ascendance Upward
Touch the bottom
Be on the decline
Be on the reduction
Summit Be similar to
Be the same as
Stabilize Have the largest percentage
Occupy the lion’s share Moderate
Rise and Change
Vary between … and … Drastic
1. SUBJECT + VERB + ADVERB
The number of (sth.) increased / jumped / rose | decreased / dropped / fell / fluctuated || slightly / steadily / gradually / slowly | suddenly / rapidly / significantly / dramatically / sharply / steeply || from (June) to (December) / between (June) and (December) / in the past …
The number was / reached / increased to / decreased to 2000.
The number increased by 100 from 200 to 300.
2. THERE BE ADJECTIVE + NOUN
There was a significant increase / a sharp decrease / a fluctuation between 100 and 200 / little change in the number of television licenses from 1957 to 1974
3. The Diagram + VERB
The diagram / graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / picture || says / tells / releases / proves / shows / indicates / demonstrates || that (No.1) / a sudden / rapid / dramatic / significant / sharp / steep | steady / gradual / slow / slight || increase / jump / rise | decrease / drop / fall | fluctuation in the number of (sth.) from ... to ... / between ... and... / in the last …
4. It is p.p. that…
It is said / told / reported / estimated / quoted / proved that (No.1 / No.2)
5. TIME+SAW / WITNESSED / EXPERIENCED+A.+N.+IN
The last / past 2 decades saw / witnessed / experienced the sharp decline in the cinema admissions.
1. 放松：relax, take it easy, break, rest
2. 流行：fashion, chic, popularity, a growing realization, more and more, in increasing number
3. 孤独：lonely, lonesome, all by oneself
4. 快乐：happy, gay, pleasure, joyful, enjoy sth. to one’s heart’s content
5. 疲倦：tiredness, boring, fatigue, weary, dull, monotonous, stereotype, same old story
6. 闲暇：leisure hours, extra-curriculum activity, after-school, free time, available
7. 娱乐：entertaining, colorful, interesting, enrich, cultivate, paint
1. In 1980, 30% of rural dwellers had drinking water compared with 50% 1990.
2. The students in class A are three times as many as those in class B.
3. The profit doubled / increase three-fold from May to June.
4. They made twice the profit in June than in March.
With the development of living standard…
Along with the promotion / improvement of science and technology…
Since the reform and opening-up policy applied…
All the social members, shall say “No!” to… / shall participate in
There is a growing realization of the advantages of sth. promoted by …
Mass media shall play an active role in doing / keep sb. well informed of sth.
The authorities concerned shall lose no time in doing sth. (put an end to / encourage)
The local government shall take measures to (bring sth. under control)
The concerned government departments shall should their responsibility in doing
Laws and regulations shall be issued…
NPC and LPC ought to attach great importance to …
1. From the data presented in the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture,
2. Apart form the figures, the fact below the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture suggest that…
3. According to the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture,
4. As (is) shown in the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture,
5. As can be seen from the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture,
6. Figures / statistics shows (that)...
7. It can be seen from the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture,
8. It is clear from the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture,
9. The diagram shows describes illustrates how...
10. The table/chart diagram graph shows (that)...
11. We can see from the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture,
12. It is apparent from the table/chart diagram graph figures (that) ...
13. It is obvious in the graphic/table that the rate/number/amount of A has undergone dramatic changes,
14. It has gone up/grown/fallen/dropped considerably in recent years (as sth. varies). At the point of (time), A reaches its peak value of…
15. 20 years of reform and opening up have witnessed great improvement in the material life of the Chinese people.
16. The bar chart/pie chart/curve graph show… From the diagram, we can have a understanding of the current situation of sth.
17. The pie chart is divided into (number of) parts. A consumes the largest portion of sth., while B accounts for … and C …
18. As (is) shown in the… / As can be seen from the … / ... figures statistics shows (that)... / It can be seen from the … / It is clear from the … / It is apparent from the table/chart diagram graph figures (that) ... / Diagram shows describes illustrates how...
1. There are some possible reasons for this change / phenomenon. First, …
2. Such changes in the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture should own to the following reasons. Firstly, …
3. There is a variety of reasons for the change / phenomenon in the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture. First of all, …
4. What is the reason for this change? Mainly there are (number of) reasons behind the situation reflected in the graphic/table.
5. Experts from SASS (Shanghai Academy of Social Science) believe that changes described in the diagram are connected in the following (number of) ways.
6. There are at least (number of) reasons behind this development.
7. Amongst numerous reasons, the following (number) are the most distinctive and obvious ones.
8. The development of human civilization / Chinese society / China’s economy / modern science and technology …
9. The improvement of people’s living standard / working conditions …
10. NPC and LPC have attached great importance to …
11. Authorities concerned have made much progress in The Municipal Government has paved the way for
12. A growing realization of the advantages of sth. has been promoted.
13. People in growing number come to realize the importance of …
14. Needless to say, the fact that sth. has found it way into common household in China attributes to a great extent to the recent sharp / stable decrease in the price of it.
15. Due to / Thanks to the advent of socialist market economy, people’s living standard rises sharply in the past 2 decades.
16. Besides this primary factor, moreover, the development of modern science and technology also contributes greatly to the advance of sth.
17. The growing realization of the advantages of sth promoted by mass media, needless to say, exerts an unavoidable influence on all walks of life as well.
1. As far as I am concerned, …
2. From the data presented in the graph / pie chart / bar chart / table / diagram / picture, we can conclude that …
3. the above analysis naturally leads us to the following possible solutions to the problem. First, …
4. Something must be done to solve the problem. Undoubtedly, we should…
5. It can be easily proved that …
6. Consequently / In the end, we can draw the conclusion that…
7. Therefore, we should realize that…
8. We have reasons to believe that…
9. From the above discussions, we have enough reasons to predict (what will happen in the near future). The trend described in the graphic/table will continue for quite a long time (if necessary measures are not taken).
10. It is strongly believed that as long as we work together our common future is very bright, though there is still a long way to struggle before of our shared goal.
11. We believe that as long as we work together, the people of China will certainly build a better future in the even greater new era.
P17N16, 19, 20, 21, 22